Turkey Pox

November 25th, 2004

Let’s enjoy a Reading Rainbow moment, shall we?

Turkey Pox is the story of Charity, a girl who loves Thanksgiving. But on the way to Grandma’s house to enjoy her favorite holiday meal, Charity’s family discovers that she has come down with the chicken pox! The car turns around, heads home, and Thanksgiving is ruined.

Well slap my ass and call me Charity…

YES, I GOT CHICKEN POX – ON THANKSGIVING!

If my life must imitate art, why can’t it do it in some wonderful way?
To put it mildly, this sucks. Thought I could elude chicken pox forever. Maybe some merciful person will come along and put me into a nice little COMA until this INSANE ITCHYNESS is all over.

I am terrified. How long will it last? How bad will it get? When does the itching stop? Is it going to spread some more? Am I going to scar? A million questions and nobody really has the answers.

Shall I keep myself busy cooking and try to keep my mind off of the mind-blowing frustration of itching like crazy and not being able to scratch? Yes. There’s no reason everyone’s Thanksgiving should be ruined …Just …Mine.

Entry Filed under: Atomic Bombshell

• 1. zee  |  November 25th, 2004 at 3:12 pm

Aurora!! Big hugs for you!! See, I’m not the only one gone blue on Thanksgiving. Lots of kisses for you, and get better soon.

My son had then last year, and was out of school for 3 weeks. His was very severe, they even gave him antibiotics he had to completely finish, or would suffer a most horrible outbreak. If you don’t scratch, you’ll do good with no scars. Some may be very large and may take a bit longer for the skin to heal. Take oatmeal baths; Aveeno has a Soothing Bath Treatment which is excellent. 100% Natural Colloidal Oatmeal.

Oh, and lots of turkey. ;o) Happy Thanksgiving!

• 2. Lewis Moten  |  November 25th, 2004 at 5:09 pm

Poor Aurora. I think that it lasts about a week or two. It’s been so long since I’ve had them. I missed out on a family members funeral when I was a little kid that I wanted to goto. I also remember looking out the window and watching my siblings play in the snow and not being allowed to go outside.

• 3. Eric  |  November 25th, 2004 at 5:34 pm

Tape oven mits to your hand to keep from scratching so much you scar. Also, use lots of calimine lotion, it will help with the itching. Hope you get over them quickly.

• 4. Kelly  |  November 25th, 2004 at 7:06 pm

holy cow.
    i had no idea that show still came on.

• 5. Ms. Lori  |  November 25th, 2004 at 8:04 pm

Aw. jeez. Sorry you have the pox, hon.

Hope you feel better soon.

• 6. Shannon  |  November 25th, 2004 at 9:30 pm

Oh dear, I’m so sorry! I haven’t had chicken pox in awhile (my brother gave ’em to me) but I remember it only lasting a week. Try not to scratch (it spreads it and infections), it aids in the scarring! Hope you feel better soon!

P.S. Oatmeal baths feel lovely. Seriously.

• 7. BT  |  November 25th, 2004 at 9:51 pm

Oh baby, I am so sorry.

Get thee to a doctor NOW. He will prescribe anti viral pills.

Sarna Lotion – Lots of it.
    Dumboros astringent bath

• 8. a-b-c-dee  |  November 26th, 2004 at 3:17 am

Oh no! DON’T use calamine lotion — it only covers it up and doesn’t help — take an antihistamine (sp?) instead — Piriton or Claratyn will work. This way you cure the itchiness from the inside out. It works!

• 9. rachel  |  November 26th, 2004 at 10:05 am

Here in the uk you can get a lotion called eurax…it’s great for chicken pox, used it on my kids when they had it, it stops the itching for up to 10 hours, and they didn’t get any scars.

• 10. niki  |  November 26th, 2004 at 11:25 am

The pox, the pox! I had them in jr high. I know I was out of school for at least one week, possibly two. And the itching was just insane… I vaguely recall that oatmeal baths helped a lot… so definitely make use of those. So sorry you go them on Thanksgiving! Do you know where/who you got them from?

• 11. Meg  |  November 26th, 2004 at 4:59 pm

Oh no! I wouldn’t have minded that a bit, yesterday. In fact, I might have appreciated it. Would have given me an excuse to stay in bed all day. LOL

Obviously, I’m not much of a Thanksgiving person. The one thing I’m always most thankful for is that there is only one day a year we have to have turkey.

• 12. slurpee  |  November 26th, 2004 at 10:36 pm

adorable. reading rainbow–what a great program, btw. 🙂

• 13. demonsurfer  |  November 27th, 2004 at 5:59 am

ouch that bites 🙁
    hope you recover rapidly!
    nice site btw 🙂

• 14. Jilly  |  November 27th, 2004 at 10:02 am

Oh you poor thing, I just have to say the worst sentence that can be uttered to a chicken pox victim……….. ‘try not to scratch love!’

Joking apart, I hope it clears up soon.

• 15. brom-man  |  November 27th, 2004 at 12:22 pm

Poor you!, and what timing!! Funny thing chicken pox, I didn’t get it as a kid, when my mum or fiance did, it waited till I was 35!! Get well soon chicken!

• 16. Keith of R.Electrons  |  November 28th, 2004 at 8:24 am

Chicken Pox is no fun!
    Hope you get over them soon!
    We kept waiting for our kids to get them. Looks like we may need to get the vaccine for the big guy soon.

• 17. Neb  |  November 28th, 2004 at 4:46 pm

Ugh. I had c-pox as a kid…in August. Hot and miserable and itchy. Bleh. I like the antihistamine idea. Oatmeal baths can’t hurt, either. Too bad you didn’t get this as a kid, for adults it can be really ugle. O well, at least your’e getting it out of the way now…

• 18. Lewies Blogs&hellip  |  November 26th, 2004 at 4:30 pm

Turkey Pox?

A few people mentioned oat meal baths. Sounds kinda yummy.