Bangless

January 21st, 2005

My hairdresser is the most loveable Nazi you’ll ever meet. She’s been cutting my hair for over ten years and were it not for her calculating precision, I may have switched long ago – Because every time I ask for anything even remotely resembling bangs she refuses.

It’s her way or the autobahn, baby!

Every girl has her “best” feature. For me it might be my mane. Some girls would kill for this hair: but it doesn’t matter how healthy your hair is, with a bad cut it will look like crap.

You could easily end up bald trying to find a good hairdresser. So many are butchers – 40% are narcissists who don’t want you to look good, and 50% couldn’t make it through school for any other vocation.

At the tender age of sixteen my only thought wasn’t driving my first car, but rather training for my first job. Because with that first real paycheck I got my first haircut in over ten years! After a Supercuts debacle, mom had banished me to the land of long-ass Crystal Gayle boring hair.

My first mistake was going to these guys back in the days when they did hair for Van Halen and all their rocker buddies… Which wasn’t this little preppie’s style. So then I started in with high-priced salons until I finally gave up and hit the dreaded mall chop shop.

VOILA! I found my little Vidal-Sassoon Nazi and have been with her – bangless – ever since. I have an appointment with her tomorrow morning and I’m gonna hit her up for some long sideswept bang-like things… and watch me come out with nothing but long layers.

At least there’s something to be said for predictability… I think?

Entry Filed under: Carrie's Rants

• 1. Jessica  |  January 21st, 2005 at 3:48 pm

I had a hairdresser once whom I had chop off my butt-length hair. She told me that night she had a nightmare that I came after her with a butcher knife. Of course, I did hate having short hair after having very long hair. Now my sister is my hair dresser which is handy when I don’t want to make an appointment. 😉

• 2. Tish  |  January 21st, 2005 at 8:13 pm

I told my hair man that I needed some pizzaz, and an hour later I had a streak of blonde in my dark hair. I’m a brunette with a mission and now have been streaked.

Come see me sometime.
    Tish

• 3. Nicky  |  January 22nd, 2005 at 8:22 am

Because of the amount I move around, it’s really difficult for me to find a decent hairdresser to settle with. I actually used to resort to asking shop assistants, etc, where were good places. I had just found one in the town near where I used to live that was good when I had to move!

I found that hairdresser after I had my first ever hairdressing horror, when I got a cut that was longer (visibly) on one side than the other, and the hairdresser who was cutting my hair refused to acknowledge the fact all through the “procedure”.

Anyway, now I am on the hunt for another decent hair cut before my hol, and hopefully my cousin (who I now live near) will be able to do it.

• 4. Grins  |  January 23rd, 2005 at 8:16 am

Sad perhaps, but a good stylist can be more valuable than a good stockbroker. I admit it, I’m a vain wench.

• 5. Aurora  |  January 23rd, 2005 at 8:11 pm

PS. Turned out GREAT! Not bangs: Cheekbone-grazing fringe.

• 6. Pie  |  January 24th, 2005 at 10:05 am

This is why I cut my own hair… if it gets butchered, I have no one to blame but myself. Of course, I’ve never had a ‘style’, which makes it easier.

• 7. Brooke  |  January 24th, 2005 at 10:47 pm

How strange, I thought it was only me. I’ve been to two different hair stylists (one where I grew up and my uncle) who have refused to give me bangs. I always just end up with long layers as well. I bring in pictures of girls with funky side-swept fringe and NADA. I wonder what’s with that? It’s not like I’m asking for the curled-under atrocity that my mom gave me when I was in the 4th grade.

• 8. Craig  |  January 27th, 2005 at 4:57 am

As I am someone of German descent and I am always amazed that people throw around, so nonchantly, derogatory implications using the term Nazi and associating German language/heritage with comments such as this… Don’t you realize it is no different that using derogatory terms to imply something belittling or expressive of a low opinion of certain other ethnic or racial groups… No matter the term is unsettling that someone such as yourself in this occasion cannot hold back from such comments.

• 9. Kayte  |  August 12th, 2006 at 3:23 am

Craig, please get a grip of yourself. For a start, why are you even reading this? Are you considering getting a fringe? No, I didn’t think so. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and as a descendent of people who lived through the war when the Nazis were around, you have no right to stand up for them!! People like you wreck my head =@
    And I got a fringe cut in and hated it, about 2 months ago =) I cried WHILST I was in the hairdressers, but it has mostly grown out now =) xx