Complimentary

January 26th, 2005

HAPPY NATIONAL COMPLIMENT DAY!

And to celebrate, tell yourself the following:
I am lovable, capable, special, and unique!

Back in elementary school, when I was still suffering emotional and physical abuse at home, there was the cutest little old black lady who came to our class and made a presentation.

She illustrated those words listed above, making sure we understood exactly what she meant by that compliment, and then made us all repeat the phrase over, and over, and over again.

Didn’t seem like much at the time, but it’s funny how little things can make a big difference… I sometimes wonder if I would have made it through as well without that thoughtful affirmation.

Entry Filed under: Time Travel

• 1. muzikdude  |  January 26th, 2005 at 1:37 pm

All kids need that sort of affirmation.

Otherwise they may grow up doing bad things with peanut butter.

• 2. Katie  |  January 26th, 2005 at 4:34 pm

I think those kinds of compliments are great, then again, they can be damaging. Did you see the people on American Idol who had been convinced that they could sing?

• 3. Pie  |  January 26th, 2005 at 5:40 pm

Well, you are fabulous.

• 4. Lewis Moten  |  January 26th, 2005 at 8:13 pm

I’m unique …Just like everyone else! Was this person a motivational speaker? I went through Special Ed classes while growing up, so I heard this kind of stuff all the time. I guess it kinda affected my outlook towards myself and others ever since.

• 5. Jenny  |  January 26th, 2005 at 8:23 pm

I went thru the same thing and I think if someone came around and said something like that to me, I would have turned out a better person than I am now. I would have been happier and able to deal with it better, but oh well. I’m glad it helped you!

🙂

• 6. Anne Berit  |  January 27th, 2005 at 5:54 am

Hi!
    There always is something funny and then something to think about on your site! This one make me think – I so do agree with you! Those are some very important word to learn any youths who comes in our way! And important word to hold on to for us adult as well! 🙂
    Have a fabulous day!! 😉

• 7. Jessica  |  January 27th, 2005 at 5:55 pm

Sometimes confidence is hard to come by. It’s nice when you can reach for it and it’s right there so you don’t have to dig it up.

• 8. Grins  |  January 27th, 2005 at 7:14 pm

Oh, I love hearing about people who made a difference in someone’s life. You are fabulous Aurora. Keep saying it just like she taught you.

• 9. Mimi  |  January 28th, 2005 at 7:16 am

You are faaa-bulous dahling. =)

• 10. kara  |  January 31st, 2005 at 4:46 pm

Love your Spacey template!

• 11. Joan  |  February 4th, 2005 at 4:29 am

Good for her. Loos what it meant to you.