Leap Year

February 28th, 2005

Riddle me this: If you were born on leap year, February 29th, which only arrives once every four years – On which day do you celebrate during the other three years?

My friends and I had opposite opinions on this one… They think it’s proper to celebrate a leap year birthday on March 1st and I totally disagree.

First of all, it’s a totally different month, and secondly, why would you want to celebrate it later if you could have it a day early? Isn’t that like punishing yourself?

We don’t pick the day we’re born. I don’t see why anybody would want to wait an extra day instead of enjoying their cake and ice cream a day in advance.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Entry Filed under: Atomic Bombshell

• 1. Jared  |  March 1st, 2005 at 2:45 pm

I agree with both of your points on why it should be celebrated in February.

• 2. Silentz  |  March 1st, 2005 at 3:06 pm

I think it is obvious that they should just be used for scientific purposes since their birthday doesn’t really exist. They should be able to celebrate either day, but then again who even cares about birthdays, besides children? Let them celebrate both days for all I care.

• 3. Keith of R.Electrons  |  March 1st, 2005 at 7:09 pm

Well, there are all sorts of ways of looking at it. I think I’d want to stick to the same month.
    You could argue that the birthday is the day after Feb 28.
    You could argue that the birthday is the day before March 1st.
    Or you could realize that each year is really 365.24 days long. That means each year everyone’s birthday should slip a fraction under 6 hours to match up to the position the earth was in at your time of birth. I mean spring/winter equinox is not always the 21st is it?
    Heck – if I was born on the 29th, I’d probably celebrate on both the 28th and the 1st to be sure! LOL Except maybe the years I didn’t want to acknoledge my birthday – then I’d say I don’t have a birthday that year – and if I had 2/29 I could truthfully say that 3 out of 4 years!

• 4. LlamaKing  |  March 2nd, 2005 at 1:13 am

Well, the point of a birthday is to simbolize that said person is one year older. Therefore, their birthday should be celebrated on the date/time that is roughly 365.25 days *yrs old that the person is… then again, I think silentz got it right with the giant who cares…

• 5. Anonymous  |  March 2nd, 2005 at 1:14 am

Edit… 365.25*yrs old since the time of birth…

• 6. Jade  |  March 2nd, 2005 at 6:11 am

I agree with you. I would definitely go for the day early rather than day late. Of course, like you said, it’s a totally different month. Talk about confusing people, like me, whom can’t keep birthdays straight as it is! Then you’re going to go and change the entire month on me too?!

• 7. Pixie Point  |  March 2nd, 2005 at 7:06 am

I think one would celebrate the last day of February. If one was born on the last day of the month (the 28th or 29th), then one should celebrate the last day of the month (regardless of actual date). Then for a birthday during the leap year, I would want to *really* celebrate by having a special bash of some sort. In a nutshell, your husband is wrong, so I think he should owe you something (just kidding).

• 8. Jenny  |  March 2nd, 2005 at 7:49 am

I was told that this year wasnt a leap year! I been gypped!

BTW: Where did you make that doll?! I want one!

• 9. Master Foley  |  March 2nd, 2005 at 1:53 pm

gosh thats such a thought provoking question
    i would definately have a big bash every 4 years

• 10. Neb  |  March 2nd, 2005 at 3:13 pm

Keep it in the same month, definitely. And I also agree with the above poster who suggests an actual party every four years: great idea!

• 11. Lewis Moten  |  March 2nd, 2005 at 8:06 pm

If you make a date for February 29th on a non-leap year, some computer programs will set the date to march first, or they will just complain that the date is invalid. If you add a day to February 28th, then you will get March 1st anyway. So there – from a programming perspective, your birthday should be on March 1st. However, if you want to give in to your emotions, I don’t see what is so bad about the 28th. Have a very merry unbirthday …

• 12. JH  |  March 5th, 2005 at 5:50 pm

My boss’s birthday is on 29Feb (it fits). We used to have an unbirthday celebration for him on 1Mar in “off” years (since that’s when 29Feb would otherwise occur), but he’s gotten less receptive to the whole concept as grey strands appear on his ol’ noggin. I can sympathize.

• 13. Easy  |  March 6th, 2005 at 9:37 am

I would recommend celebrating on both days, just to be sure.

• 14. 8ZERO8  |  March 6th, 2005 at 2:51 pm

I think you only get to celebrate every four years, but when you do you get trips to Hawaii and cars and stuff. Plus, you can’t legally drink until you’re 84 in other people’s years.

• 15. Srinivas Shastri  |  September 8th, 2005 at 6:03 am

When Bill Clinton was told about the confusion regarding the start of the 21st century (Y2K or +1), he said: “What the heck! Let’s have a blast both years” …I’d go with that for the LYB as well.