Pumping Iron

May 25th, 2005

“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again
and expecting different results.” – Albert Einstein

Last night, two years of faithfulness to the Curves training circuit came to an end. After incrementally upping my workout duration and frequency over eight months without achieving any measurable improvements, I decided it was high time to try something new.

It’s not that their system hasn’t worked for me, because it did for about a year. In retrospect, Curves is like training wheels for the non-athletic. Now that I’ve lost weight and built a good muscle base, it’s time to move on. I am determined to drop those few final pounds.

There are only a few methods to lose weight: eat less, exercise more, or use drugs. After getting my nutrition under control two years ago, I can’t further reduce my consumption without irritability. So of those three methods, only the additional exercise sounds like a viable option.

After searching, I found a decent gym. But first of all, I don’t know how to use any of their equipment, so there’s a learning curve. Secondly, if my husband gets wind of any flirting aimed in my direction, my stint there will be over faster than you can say Arnold Schwarzenegger.

What convinced me to make the switch despite these concerns: 1) they have eighty ways to work each muscle group and a huge variety of classes (this is good for ADD-girl) and 2) it’s less than half the price I’m currently paying, and also includes personal training – SOLD!

Entry Filed under: One Of The Guys

• 1. Citizen of the Month  |  May 25th, 2005 at 4:05 pm

Tell your husband not to worry about guys flirting with you at the gym. At least here in my Los Angeles gym, the guys are way more interested in the weights (and sometimes each other) than women in skimpy outfits. The women are pretty much the same, concerned more about their glutes (butts). Believe me, I’ve tried to start conversations and it never went anywhere. Good luck. Remember to stretch!

• 2. Wuzzlicious  |  May 25th, 2005 at 4:10 pm

Don’t they teach you how to use the equipment? They should, or offer a free one-time training session or something to that effect. My gym offers cardio strip-tease for a class. I’m a little low on the confidence required for that one just now, but maybe later. πŸ™‚

• 3. Aurora  |  May 25th, 2005 at 4:48 pm

Yes, I’ll stretch! πŸ™‚ As for teaching me how to use the equipment – They do! My first personal training session is on Saturday morning, but I’m not gonna slack off until then… In the meantime, when I want to try something new I pull aside a trainer and ask for help. Still, my incessant questions make me feel a bit like a retard.

• 4. Fiona  |  May 25th, 2005 at 4:56 pm

Sounds great πŸ™‚ I prefer the unisex types of gyms, I actually usually find the women more intimidating than the men… Hehe!

• 5. Josh  |  May 26th, 2005 at 7:43 am

You could say “Arnie”, but have you seen him lately? I don’t think he’s been near a gym in a while.

• 6. Jen  |  May 26th, 2005 at 9:27 am

Man! Looking at the picture this morning before my first cup of coffee was like looking at one of those 3D pictures. I finally figured out it was our governor. He keeps calling my house! “Hi, this is Ahhhnold”, click!

• 7. B  |  May 26th, 2005 at 9:57 am

Arg… gyms. I would go but its soooo embarrassing. Especially catching the hunchbacked 60-year old perving at my heaving bosom. Also, trying to do the X-trainer whilst holding your flabby stomach in is no mean feat.

But good on you, you’re far more courageous than I!

• 8. Nanette  |  May 26th, 2005 at 10:30 pm

Aurora, you can be my inspiration. I need to get it in gear!

• 9. Chaos-Girl  |  May 27th, 2005 at 10:05 am

You make me want to get off my butt and exercise.

Well, almost πŸ˜‰

• 10. Atomic Bombshell » &hellip  |  November 11th, 2005 at 10:01 pm

[…] You know about my progress with circuit training, spinning, and dealing with food issues. But today I’m going to give you a glimpse at what it takes, on a consistent basis, for my body to start melting off the lard. If the average young lady were to adhere to this regimen, I bet every dime I own that she’d end up a heck of a lot more slender than the overly curvy size six I fight so hard to keep. Check this insanity… […]