Old Wallpaper

June 20th, 2005

It’s been over a decade since I left home and moved out on my own, and it took me until just today to have a flashback of my old bedroom. Honestly, I’d all but forgotten what it even looked like. But tonight one of the kids told a story that jogged my memory, and a couple hours later the image of those old yellow walls came flooding back.

To this day orange and yellow are my least favorite colors. They would be for you too, if you’d grown up in a room with shag carpeting in those colors. Oh, and how could I ever forget the Sesame Street bedspread and coordinating curtains? Good job making me use them until I was sixteen and got a job to pay for new stuff, Mom.

I remember having to de-preschool my bedroom before having friends over. Eventually I opted for an Esprit / Duran Duran hybrid theme. Teen fashion and 80s pop… What a combo. By the time I was fourteen I had every visible inch of wall plastered with catalog and magazine pages. Does anybody else remember those huge Esprit catalogs?

As for Duran Duran, I hate to admit John Taylor was my favorite. Today I have only two words for him: brow lift. What was I thinking? I suppose there’s no explanation for the behavior of teen girls. But hell, something had to cover the framed Precious Moments posters on the wall!

So I’m curious, what was your old bedroom like?

Entry Filed under: Time Travel

• 1. Jennifer  |  June 20th, 2005 at 11:34 pm

I would KILL for my today bedroom to look like my 16 year old bedroom.

But alas, I don’t think 33 year olds can get away with every inch of their closet doors being covered with black & white pictures of retro bombshells (heavy on the Marlena Deitrich), and walls chock full of Duran Duran and James Dean.

Also, two words… Window. Seat.

• 2. soapbox.SUPERSTAR  |  June 21st, 2005 at 5:53 am

Okay – I had the esprit posters on the wall, I did have (1) Duran Duran, but I really liked the Cure and the Smiths, so I had a lot of them. But the other thing I had was Benetton – I loved that stuff!!!

Then everything turned to surf and skate stuff, like G&S and Billabong.

• 3. Master Foley  |  June 21st, 2005 at 6:48 am

I used to have one wall that was nothing but cork board

• 4. Mr. LemurBoy  |  June 21st, 2005 at 8:44 am

Hmm… My teenage bedroom. Ok, picture this: Start with light blue walls, and dark blue carpet. Add a futon with a mottled blue duvet and matching curtains. Take one wall, and wallpaper it with comic strips clipped from the newspaper. On another wall, put up an M.C. Escher print and many odd objects, such as a sword and dagger, a licence plate and suspension spring from my dad’s Jeep that I totaled, a gunpowder horn, coin collections, and some other stuff I can’t remember. Cover another wall totally in garishly coloured rave flyers. Decorate the final wall with ripped jeans (usually with an interesting story behind the various rips). Hang a dozen eggshells painted like eyeballs from the ceiling. Place a ceramic arm and glass head on the dresser, and stick a couple of Styrofoam heads on the ceiling at the head of the futon where bedposts would be. Create an entire galaxy out of glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling. Complete the look by writing any quote you hear or read which speaks to you on the wall with Crayola washable markers. Provide light with 2 black halogen lamps.

Yeah, I had fun decorating my bedroom ^_^

• 5. PinkSaltyDickMeat  |  June 21st, 2005 at 10:59 am

I would kill to provide my children with the kind of room that I had… But alas, I am not in that tax bracket.

I had one wall completely covered with corkboard. On it were posters of Boston, Led Zeppelin, Pearl Drumsets, Sims skateboards (I’m dating myself), Disco sucks, etc.

Why cant I have that now?

• 6. Amber  |  June 21st, 2005 at 3:47 pm

I lived in a few houses, but the decor stayed mostly the same. Pre-teen it was New Kids on The Block everything, heavy on the Jordan Knight [what a prick he turned out to be, lol] with carpet, bed and window dressing to match in pink.

Then the teen years came and I went on to greener pastures such as my lifelong commitment to the Dallas Cowboys, heavy on the Troy Aikman [drool] memorabilia, homecoming mums, tons of photos, dried flowers, No Doubt and Marilyn Monroe posters, and all that other jazz.

Unfortunately, my husband isn’t too keen on the idea of Troy Aikman’s face being the first the he sees when he opens his eyes. LOL!

• 7. Lewis Moten  |  June 21st, 2005 at 5:27 pm

One room had wood paneling. There was a picture of a prayer about “now I lay me down to sleep”. I remember that the carpet was red and puffy with imprinted lines throughout it.

Another room was blue. Mom put up som plastic contact paper on the bottom half of the wall and blue tape at the top of the paper. I had a crayon drawing of kermit the frog on a log with a banjo that was heat laminated so the colors melted a little bit. Ther was also a picture of miss piggy and another of mighty mouse.

My last room was in the attic. The walls (or should I say ceiling) wasn’t covered with anything as I was in middle school and was oblivious to the “worldly entertainment” as my father would put it. He is an elder for the Jahovas Witnesses. He’s the equivilent of a priest I guess.

• 8. Nadine  |  June 21st, 2005 at 6:00 pm

I, too had COVERED WALLS. Corey Haim, Corey Feldman, River Phoenix, Kirk Cameron, Sean Astin, NKOTB (eekk!) …Oh, what would I have done w/o Teen Beat magazine? :0) My room was lavender and smelled like Electric Youth… HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

• 9. Lisa  |  June 22nd, 2005 at 9:37 am

Let’s see, my furniture was the loaner stuff the military gave to families, so it was always mismatched and horribly ugly. Then there was my old Strawberry Shortcake comforter on the lumpiest mattress EVER. But the walls…they were beautiful. Every inch covered by Johnny Depp pictures that I ripped out of magazines in the bookstores and libraries and drug stores throughout Germany. I still have most of them in a folder somewhere.

• 10. Chaos-Girl  |  June 22nd, 2005 at 6:05 pm

I hate to admit it, but…..

Rainbows, e v e r y w h e r e!

With incense burning, lol.

• 11. KnOizKi  |  June 23rd, 2005 at 3:54 am

Guess what, I’ve found a cockroach under my pillow.

And my walls are just plain white. Nothing on. Just empty with a lampshade that illuminates the area.