Bookmobile

June 23rd, 2005

The Zero Boss assigned a book report: Five books I liked enough as a kid to read again as an adult. This will be the first and last book-related meme I’ll submit to because 80% of my reading doesn’t come bound and the other 20% is too boring to report. That said…

1. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis – Read it as a kid, and now I’m going to read it again to prepare for the movie that’s coming out in theatres this December!

2. Sleeping Beauty by M & K Craft – Because you’re never really too old for a good bedtime story, and as a sleep-a-holic this beautifully illustrated fairy tale will always be my favorite.

3. Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen – The first novel she ever published, and my favorite girlie story of all time. I’ll probably re-read and re-watch it hundreds of times.

4. Round Trip by Ann Jonas – Graphic design inspiration disguised as a picture book. It tells two stories, one rightside up and one upside down!

5. Siddhartha by Herman Hesse – It’s a fast read and it takes you on an exotic journey. The first book I ever read cover to cover in one day flat.

Feel free to share the kids books you’ll read again. I’m sure I missed some good ones, so clue us all in by leaving a comment.

Entry Filed under: Undercover Geek

• 1. LlamaKing  |  June 23rd, 2005 at 11:52 pm

I really hated Siddhartha. I had to read it for my 10th grade english class, and then again during a college class. Hated it both times. To each their own.

• 2. Silentz  |  June 24th, 2005 at 3:53 am

Was never a fan of Jane Austen, although I read Pride and Prejudice. Siddhartha was a fun read. Considering I am only 20, there hasn’t been much time for me to re-read books that I read as a kid. I read Farenheit 451 and Heart Of Darkness in Junior high and re-read both of them in high school for assignments. My teachers were somewhat confused when I told them that I read them 4 years ago or so. I am reading The Brothers Karamazov right now, I am such a dork.

• 3. Neil  |  June 24th, 2005 at 6:50 am

I remember being totally blown away by Siddhartha. The pseudo-spirituality was definitely an appeal for a teenager. I’ve been afraid of reading it again, thinking I’ll now just find it corny.

• 4. KangaMini  |  June 24th, 2005 at 7:30 am

I have no books involving pancakes, but here is my list of books
    (I include up to the end of Highschool as my childhood, hehe):

• Sounder (William H. Armstrong)
    • Where the Red Fern Grows (Wilson Rawls)
    • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Roald Dahl)
    • Rama (Arthur C. Clarke)
    • Cry to Heaven (Anne Rice)
  • 5. Lisa  |  June 24th, 2005 at 11:26 am

The Watership Down by Richard Adams is top on my list.

I’m actually reading Sense and Sensiblity (again) right now. 🙂

I think I’d be interested in reading James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl to see if it is as fun as I remember.

• 6. Aurora  |  June 24th, 2005 at 10:46 pm

I suppose I should read Charlie & The Chocolate Factory for the first time before it comes out on the big screen with (drool!) Johnny Depp.

• 7. Nadine  |  June 26th, 2005 at 7:28 pm

What about ARE YOU THERE GOD, ITS ME MARGARET…had to have been around 11 or 12 and couldn’t understand why she needed a belt when she was on her period!! Oldie but goodie :0)