Personal Training

June 30th, 2005

When I joined a real gym a month ago, I opted for a block of Personal Training sessions since I wasn’t sure how to use most of the equipment, nor was I sure I could build a thorough workout plan.

I’ve always been a proponent of letting the experts do what they do best. So much for that idea, for although trainers certainly can know their business, they’re actually in the business of keeping you dependent upon their overpriced assistance.

Well first of all, I don’t need a babysitter. I’ve never had a problem with things like Motivation, Determination, or Perseverance. I don’t need someone to coach me through those last two reps or to make sure that I actually make an appearance at the gym…

Secondly, I voiced my expectations in advance, “This works out to around $50 per session… I don’t even make that much, and I kick ass at what I do… This better be worth it.” HAH! I learned a few exercises to overcome my postural deviations but overall it was a rip-off.

My desire was to build an effective workout plan, learn how to do a variety of exercises for each muscle group, and how to properly use all the equipment at the gym. Halfway through, I spoke with the Fitness Manager about my dissatisfaction but nothing really changed.

So now I’m back on my own, and glad about it, too. Screw it, I can figure this stuff myself. I headed over to Amazon.com and picked up a couple best-rated women’s fitness books: The Body Sculpting Bible for Women and Sculpting Her Body Perfect.

Learned more from those books than I probably could have gleaned from even a thousand dollars worth of pesonal training sessions, and I haven’t even gone over them very thoroughly yet. If you’ve got to pick one, I highly recommend the Bible.

Aside from that, I also purchased some fitness cards from SoloTrainer because I always worry that I might be doing something wrong or with improper form. These give me a handy visual reference and a great way to ensure that I’m developing a comprehensive weekly plan.

To all you personal trainers out there: PBBBBBBT! 😛

Entry Filed under: One Of The Guys

• 1. soapbox.SUPERSTAR  |  June 30th, 2005 at 2:51 pm

Good Luck to you!

• 2. Random Personae  |  June 30th, 2005 at 8:46 pm

Steal their knowledge and abandon them.

• 3. Aurora  |  June 30th, 2005 at 9:29 pm

Precisely my plan. If only they were more free with the info.

• 4. MissMeliss  |  June 30th, 2005 at 10:29 pm

See, this is why I go to Curves. I’m in and out in half an hour and no one hovers over me.

Yeah, I hate their politics and their music, but it works for me.

I’m certain you’ll do better on your own.

• 5. Aurora  |  July 1st, 2005 at 8:26 am

Curves worked for me for about a year. I’m glad it works for you and I hope you don’t hit the “plateau of doom” like I did. It sucks having to learn all this stuff when you had previously enjoyed the ease of their no-brainer circuit. Unfortunately, one of the tricks to achieving continued results is variety, and they don’t provide that.

• 6. Shanni  |  July 1st, 2005 at 2:21 pm

I should probably get that book… I go to the gym and just do whatever I feel like. I don’t really have a plan and basically I’m just “maintaining” – nothing is changing. I just bought some gloves though because a lot of the machines give my hands calluses. I haven’t been very motivated lately – not enough sleep. But this weekend I’m hoping to go work my butt off. 🙂

• 7. Christina  |  July 3rd, 2005 at 9:11 am

Don’t tell me this, I’m thinking of starting with a trainer! Where did you get training from? I will avoid them. 🙂 I got a good recommendation actually, so hopefully the person I go to will be cool. My body is gaining weight for no reason right now, if I don’t do something I will just have to give up and shop at Lane Bryant.

• 8. Thomas  |  July 5th, 2005 at 3:46 am

Hi, I’m a Pro Health Trainer. I fully agree that most Trainers aren’t giving their clients their moneys worth. When I train a client I train them to be able to go out on their own, to know they can do it on their own without my assistance. All my clients get the results they want because I would hate to be stealing their money and time. So you can always e-mail me if you live in Santa Barbara CA.