Dirty Genes

September 26th, 2005

GeneticsSometimes I wonder if I resulted from a test tube experiment.

Unlike the majority of people, who resemble certain family members more than others, I’m the mystery meat… Completely adrift in the gene pool. I don’t closely resemble anybody in my family. And no, I’m not adopted.

My brother doesn’t have this problem. He’s a combo platter, but with those blue eyes and dark blonde hair, he’s my father’s son all the way. That side of the family liked him more because of the connection. I can’t even blame them. There’s something special about looking alike.

Though sometimes I feel alone, there’s also a part of me that’s glad I’m different. Especially when I look at some of the DNA that might have stuck. God knows I loved my big German grandma on my dad’s side, and she was an amazing woman… But sweet Jesus, she was a battle axe. Remembering her shape makes me want to run a few miles to get farther away from that fate.

My genetic sequence is a frequent topic of family debate and laughter. Nobody can figure out where my nose came from. It’s certainly not from my mom’s clan of hookbills. Neither side wants to take responsibility for this bubble butt either. Who knows, maybe they’re just hiding the fact that I’m secretly related to J-Lo?

Chemistry class, eleventh grade. Football star thinks he’s going to get a good grade by teaming up with me in lab (the joke was on him) and as I’m working on our first project, he exclaims, “Damn girl! You may be white, but you got a black ass!” …and I wore coordinating sweatshirts around my waist for the rest of the semester.

When your family members don’t share your traits, that means there’s nobody around to teach you how to handle them. Almost like having all of the struggles of being bi-racial without any of the beautiful benefits. It’s hard to feel connected when you look so different.

Entry Filed under: The Black Hole

• 1. 'Chele  |  September 26th, 2005 at 8:11 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, but then aren’t we really in that position together? So then we are not truly alone.

Waaaaaaaaaaaa! …What if we want to be alone?!

• 2. Andrew QH  |  September 27th, 2005 at 12:03 am

But you do resemble a few celebreties… Care to share? Or have you already, and I missed the memo?

• 3. Lisa  |  September 27th, 2005 at 12:41 am

I feel you here! If I had a dollar for every time somebody told me I didn’t look half-Korean, I could frikkin buy Korea. I always joke that somewhere there is a Latina woman looking at her kid thinking, “Damn, why does she look so Asian?”

• 4. Silentz  |  September 27th, 2005 at 1:57 am

You can see my family in me. It was freaky going back east a few years ago and half of the people in the room had the same eyes as me.

• 5. soapbox.SUPERSTAR  |  September 27th, 2005 at 5:41 am

We do not have that problem in my family. All three of us are blonde with blue eyes and look exactly alike.

• 6. Master Foley  |  September 27th, 2005 at 6:11 am

Mailman? πŸ˜• πŸ™‚ 😈

• 7. The Bombshell  |  September 27th, 2005 at 8:38 am

I liked our mailman very much, but he was elderly and didn’t like my mother very much… No resemblance there either.

• 8. char  |  September 27th, 2005 at 10:38 am

When people see me with my parents they get freaking confused. I’m black, indian, puerto rican, french and italian. If you see my dad he looks hispanic and my mother is black…..so you can only imagine what goes through peoples minds.

Our family gatherings are a total treat though nobody looks like anyone…looks like a bunch of people got together to eat and drink.

• 9. Gweny  |  September 27th, 2005 at 2:04 pm

I inherited my mother’s big mouth, my father’s big forehead, my grandpa’s small chin, and my grandmother’s no ass. I want a re-do!

• 10. April  |  September 27th, 2005 at 8:00 pm

LOL – I am biracial, so I can easily understand. Hey, but no fear! My mom’s white, and she’s got a big-o-ass, and that makes her ten TIMES more beautiful than all the other white ladies. Rejoice and be proud of your uniqueness… πŸ˜€

• 11. Christina  |  September 27th, 2005 at 8:38 pm

My mom, dad and sis: Dark hair
    Me: Blonde

Them: green eyes
    Me: Blue

The biggest difference is personality, i’m quite a bit more intelligent and worldy than them all, the worldliness was evident even at a very young age. We all believed that I was dropped in by some mysterious force.

• 12. Bagheera  |  September 29th, 2005 at 10:48 am

Everyone says I am the spitting image of my mother, but no one who says that knew her back when she had a hooked nose.

I’m a comfortable mix of both my parents, where my father’s genes (thankfully) cancelled out some of the more undesirable physical traits of my mother’s.

But, despite for my half-Cuban half-sister, the rest of us look enough alike that no one questions parentage. πŸ™‚

• 13. Atomic Bombshell » &hellip  |  November 16th, 2005 at 11:54 pm

[…] Remember when I told you a story about that guy in chemistry class? Today I met up with Hassan McCullough and he confirmed that I still have a black ass. […]