Can’t Breathe

October 15th, 2005

EpiPenSay hello to my little friend. Can somebody please tell me why I never get any normal illnesses? I always get the catastrophic, miserable, and potentially deadly stuff. This time it’s the rare condition of exercise-induced anaphylaxis.

Didn’t even tell my doctor about it until after the third time it happened, at which point he impressed upon me the importance of dialing 911 immediately next time, because by the way: It’s going to happen again. So when it does, I’m supposed to jab this giant needle thing into my leg and hold it there for ten seconds while it pumps me full of adrenaline… And on that note, off to the gym I go!

Entry Filed under: Atomic Bombshell

• 1. The Bombshell  |  October 15th, 2005 at 6:54 pm

Oh, and if the threat of death doesn’t freak you out enough on its own, the box for this epinephrine syringe bears the cheery tagline “BECAUSE EVERY SECOND COUNTS”

• 2. soapbox.SUPERSTAR  |  October 15th, 2005 at 7:11 pm

OH MY GOD. That is horrible. What is triggering it?

• 3. Jennifer  |  October 15th, 2005 at 7:13 pm

I am allergic to Tylenol. I will go into anaphylactic shock if I don’t get a Benadryl in me within minutes. We never could figure out what was causing my attacks. We’d tell the doctor, “I get a headache, 30 minutes later I have this attack.” Never put 2 and 2 together.

I had to go on this diet when I was in the 8th grade. Nothing but fresh fruits and veggies and food with no additives or preservatives in them (talk about sucking). While on this diet, I got a headache, took a Tylenol, then BAM.

Needless to say I don’t take Tylenol anymore, but still to this day carry an EpiPen just incase!

• 4. The Bombshell  |  October 15th, 2005 at 9:08 pm

Haven’t exactly figured out what triggers it yet, but I suspect that it’s cheese, which is listed a primary culprit. Funny, because I’m not lactose intolerant and have never really had a bad reaction to cheese before… Except for feta, which now that I think about it, gave me mild but identical symptoms over the years. Perhaps it’s amazing I didn’t keel over sooner!

Regarding your allergy, Jennifer, I’m the exact opposite… Tylenol is the only OTC pain reliever that I can take. I’m allergic to the gamut of aspirins and related non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen and naproxen… Which sucks when you consider that I have killer menstrual cramps and those are the best thing for it.

• 5. Dawn  |  October 15th, 2005 at 11:46 pm

I am allergic to bees, and wasps… If you feel the anaphylaxis coming on you really do need to use the epi-pen. I also worked as an EMT for a bit when I was younger. I hope that you are able to keep from having to use it, but if you do, it can save your life. I hope that you are able to figure out what your tigger is!

• 6. Lisa  |  October 16th, 2005 at 12:00 am

I KNEW exercising was an unneccessary evil but I didn’t know you could be allergic to it. And to think I could have been using that excuse all along.

• 7. La Bella  |  October 16th, 2005 at 12:48 am

Yikes girl!

Be careful… and it’s better late than never to find out about these things.

Be safe…
    Hugs*

• 8. 'Chele  |  October 16th, 2005 at 10:54 am

Oh crap… Dang! I am not really allergic to anything… You know, except the crap that is always in the air in Los Angeles.

• 9. Andrew QH  |  October 16th, 2005 at 1:55 pm

Whoa! Serious stuff… I’ll be praying for ya, friend! =)

• 10. Lewis Moten  |  October 16th, 2005 at 4:14 pm

We get those EpiPens for alergies to bee stings. I never gave much thought that they would be used for other things. Yours looks much bigger and scarier. It seems that your genetics are fighting against you sometimes. I wish you all the best.

• 11. Mr. LemurBoy  |  October 17th, 2005 at 12:00 pm

I know the pain of carrying one of those suckers around. I’m allergic to bees myself, and can die within 4 minutes if I don’t get a shot. Just be glad they have epi-pens these days. I used to hafta carry around a thing called an Ana-Kit, which was the same chemical, but had an actual syringe and tourniquette (sp?) in it that I’d have to inject myself with. When the epi-pen was introduced and I found out all I had to do was pull off the cap and hold it to my leg, it made me waaaaaay happier. 😀

• 12. Atomic Bombshell » &hellip  |  January 19th, 2006 at 10:43 pm

[…] The moment I started running I realized something was going terribly right. I kept getting faster, and faster; I could hardly believe it. People… I’ve got WHEELS! My first time running apart from the treadmill was the most unbelievable feeling. As an asthmatic, I had given up on the idea that a sprint like that was possible for me. […]

• 13. Atomic Bombshell » &hellip  |  February 27th, 2006 at 11:05 pm

[…] So far, my training is going pretty well, but I can already see that the big challenge for me is going to be cardiovascular. With asthma and those years as a mouse potato to combat, even all the effort that I put into increasing my fitness over the last three years won’t quite cut it. […]

• 14. Sylvain  |  February 24th, 2007 at 5:58 am

hey, i don’t know you but i have the same problem and i also always get weird things that are deadly.