Shopgirl

October 30th, 2005

ShopgirlManaged to catch a new “chick flick” this weekend. After all, who doesn’t like Steve Martin? The movie is based on a novella that he wrote, and I liked the tale and its relaxed pace.

Every once in a while I’ll be driving around listening to XM Comedy and one of Steve’s old skits will come on, and I remember how he started… Some favorite works: The Jerk, The Man With Two Brains, All of Me, Three Amigos, Little Shop of Horrors, Parenthood, LA Story, Father of the Bride… And I’m looking forward to the Pink Panther in 2006.

Entry Filed under: Atomic Bombshell

• 1. char  |  October 30th, 2005 at 10:24 pm

He was great in Little Shop and The Jerk, this looks like a great movie too!

• 2. BloodyWits  |  October 31st, 2005 at 1:59 am

I love his Father of the Bride renditions, and The Jerk is one of the only movies my father and I can watch and have the same reaction to (reaction being unbridled fits of laughter). Has your rocket always said “Nimbus”?

• 3. Andrew QH  |  October 31st, 2005 at 2:46 am

Wasn’t that movie written by, directed by, AND starring Steve Martin? Thats a scary thought.

• 4. Master Foley  |  October 31st, 2005 at 7:15 am

Gawd! I hate Jason Schwartzman.

• 5. soapbox.SUPERSTAR  |  October 31st, 2005 at 9:02 am

I am an XM Comedy junkee… and my husband’s all-time favorite movie is The Jerk!

“And that’s it and that’s the only thing I need, is this. I don’t need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that’s all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that’s all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that’s all I need. And that’s all I need too. I don’t need one other thing, not one – I need this. The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. And this. And that’s all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair.”

• 6. Susie  |  October 31st, 2005 at 11:32 am

I just finished this book this weekend. It was really good, and I’m looking forward to seeing the movie, too. I’ll be interested to see how the two jive.

• 7. Dena  |  November 1st, 2005 at 3:06 pm

I love Steve Martin. I’ll have to catch this one. My husband loves “The Jerk”, so I may be able to talk him into it.

• 8. Suki  |  November 9th, 2005 at 2:46 pm

I loved this movie… 🙂 Some of the characters reminded me of some friends of mine.