Rock Me Amadeus

January 27th, 2006

Salzburg Mozart StatueHappy 250th Birthday, W. A. Mozart! In the past I’ve expressed my fervent love of classical music and his work is a big contributor to that passion.

Little known fact about me: For twelve years I was a devoted instrumentalist. Though my primary focus was the alto saxophone, I quickly learned (much to my dismay) that there was very little opportunity to play classical music on an instrument which was not invented until the romantic era… So, I learned many other ways to make great music.

Those early years fostered in me a great love for musical performance. Once you’ve played, it completely changes the experience of going to the symphony. Once you’ve analyzed a score, it revolutionizes the way you hear a piece played by an orchestra. You’re no longer sitting there, you’re actually inside the music and a part of the experience.

Haven’t been to the symphony in years… The mention of it makes me think of Dad. He was the only one in my family interested in such things. As one of those season ticket kind of guys, now and again he would let his daughter tag along… But then things changed with us.

Los Angeles now has a new concert hall. A freaky looking building near the courthouse. Sooner or later I’m going to have to find someone to join me for a performance by the LA Philharmonic. All weekend they’re playing Mozart on XM Classics, and it’s making me jones!

Entry Filed under: Undercover Geek

• 1. 'Chele  |  January 28th, 2006 at 7:25 am

My union does that venue… Ewwwwwwwwwwwww! I am so not a fan! If I have to work something there you go for me… Ok?

• 2. The Bombshell  |  January 28th, 2006 at 9:34 am

Sure! 😀

• 3. Silentz  |  January 28th, 2006 at 12:57 pm

You know how to get a hold of me if you want some one to go with you.

• 4. The Bombshell  |  January 28th, 2006 at 11:42 pm

Thanks, Silent… You’d be a great person to take along, but I had no idea you were into that kind of music. Then again, I can’t say I’m surprised… You’ve got some eclectic tastes!

• 5. Shanni  |  January 30th, 2006 at 4:36 pm

I would love to go! I’ve played the flute since I was 9. I was on a full music scholarship in college until I switched to sign language and became an interpreter. I didn’t play my flute for 10 years and it made me sad so now I’m playing again in the Santa Monica band. I suck now but it’s fun. I looooove music. I looooove Mozart too!

• 6. Boudica of Suburbia  |  January 30th, 2006 at 6:27 pm

Love it! I like Mozart, muchly, but Grieg is my man.

PS: What does “making me jones” mean… Am I missing out on dirty banter!!??

• 7. The Bombshell  |  January 30th, 2006 at 9:31 pm

Hehehe… Looks like I’ll have no problem finding someone to go with me after all — RAD! For “jonesing” here’s a link to Urban Dictionary.