Skin Deep

February 17th, 2006

Flawless SkinA week ago I had another one of those skin treatments… This one was at least twice as intense as the last.

I’m grateful for all the technology that provides better skin cancer treatment options, but Photodynamic Therapy is tough stuff. Better than being cut and scarred, but it leaves you looking and feeling like a burn victim for a while.

There are always valuable lessons to be learned in tough times, and I don’t want to miss out on any of them.

Perhaps I found one: It is only when my appearance is so greatly compromised that I come to realize how much I rely upon it every day as a source of confidence… Face to ugly face with pride and vanity.

Entry Filed under: Completely Girlie

• 1. Bear  |  February 20th, 2006 at 8:07 am

So, how are you doing overall?

• 2. Boudica of Suburbia  |  February 20th, 2006 at 8:53 am

“Ugly is as ugly does” or so I’m told. It really is a case of beauty being skin deep. Hope you are feeling a bit better. Watch a shitty film you love and eat some hugely fatty crap food. You can’t go wrong with that, really.

• 3. soapbox.SUPERSTAR  |  February 20th, 2006 at 12:26 pm

Was it cancer that you were having treated?

• 4. The Bombshell  |  February 21st, 2006 at 5:42 pm

Yep! Been fighting a good battle with various forms of it for around three years now — I’m highly motivated to be victorious! Grr… 😡

• 5. 'Chele  |  February 23rd, 2006 at 9:41 am

You know, it is so hard for me to get my husband to wear skin protection… He has this dumb idea that Black folks can’t get burned. ARGG!!! I could just scream.

Your honesty brings to our minds that if we have a mole that is not looking the same… It’s really easy to have your doctor take a look. My daughter has a lot of moles, and we have documented them since she was young with close-up pictures every year.

You’re a strong woman and it shows in all that you do…

• 6. CAPPY  |  February 27th, 2006 at 1:54 pm

OMG… A model for the rest of the world thou shall serve.

• 7. Neil  |  February 27th, 2006 at 2:07 pm

I hope everything heals quickly!

• 8. Paul  |  March 5th, 2006 at 4:38 pm

I had a series of massive dermabrades (full forehead and cheeks) 26 years ago a little metal wire brush spinning at thousands of RPM back and for and back and forth.
    When done, what was left was literally hamburger that had to be washed and ointmented every 15 minuites for weeks afterwards.
    Extreme unavoidable depression and loss of dermabrade is standard after the proceedure.
    I hope what you had isn’t as bad.
    You have all of my encouragement either way.

— Paul