Home School

April 24th, 2006

Mallard Fillmore

Saw this “Mallard Fillmore” comic in the paper last week and it got me thinking. My mother may be far from a shining example, but she had me reading by age three… I kid you not! To this day I can remember our “play time” with phonics and flashcards. Those early years set the stage for a life-long love of learning.

These days, so many parents don’t view their children’s education as a personal responsibility. Either they feel ill-equipped, uninterested, or too busy. Of course, there are plenty of exceptions… My aunt and uncle are among them. They homeschooled my six cousins, the oldest of whom recently graduated from UCLA.

I was always a little jealous of their personalized education because I was always so bored! In both private and public schools, I had the same experience of waiting for the slowest moron in class to catch up so that we could finally move on and learn something new. The whole process was terribly painful for a bright girl with A.D.D.

Maybe some day I’ll have a family and face decisions about education. I wonder if I’ll have the option to home school, or if economic conditions will force me to subject my children to the boredom I once endured.

Entry Filed under: Carrie's Rants

• 1. Jason Rohrblogger  |  April 25th, 2006 at 3:15 pm

Welcome back! Missed you…

• 2. deletedsoul  |  April 26th, 2006 at 3:36 am

Welcome back!

On the subject of homeschooling, I can vouch for there being advantages to this. I was homeschooled from 3rd to 12th grade. Not being distracted by peer pressure, learning at your own pace, and being able to have one on one contact with your teacher is invalueable.

The downside? A lot of times (even in my case) the parent doesn’t have the patience or the time to devote to the child. There’s always the social interaction aspect, but most towns have homeschool groups that have gym classes, outings, etc.

There are even schools that offer advanced satellite plans to help the family with the administrative and grading side of things, so they can focus on teaching.

Homeschooling is not just for religious nuts or backwoods scary people anymore. Its a viable option for those wanting the best education possible for the child.

• 3. deletedsoul  |  April 26th, 2006 at 3:40 am

SPAM!

One last thing…the monetary concerns are often without cause whem considering homeschooling. My school offered a complete plan for 350.00 per year, less than the average public schooled child spends on clothes, lunches and books.

🙂

• 4. Grins  |  April 26th, 2006 at 4:42 am

My mom didn’t homeschool but she did have us VERY prepped for school at an early age. She is responsible for my love of reading without a doubt.

And as for the economic stuff, it works out. I somehow manage to scrimp and save so my son can go to private school in high school. Which reminds me, the tuition is due again. Eeek.

• 5. Joefish  |  April 26th, 2006 at 6:56 am

Nice to see you again.

I don’t think I ever had ADD, but I was certainly bored to tears in public school. Or lazy. Bored or lazy, one or the other.

• 6. Nihility  |  April 26th, 2006 at 10:35 am

Heh, now I guess I have to update my blog too 😀

In Israel there is no such thing as home schooling at those ages. We have a law enforcing free, mandatory education, up to 10th grade I believe. Our education system has been under a lot of scrutiny for quite a while. Ther are just so many funds you can divert to education when you are constantly at war. We’re confronted with rising violence and dropping grades.

You do have the option of sending your kids to private school, though this can be expensive, and after tenth grade your kids are no longer obligated to go to school, though most will complete their education. The way I see it, in order for homeschooling to work you have to have a committed, educated parent, and if you are that type of person you might as well get a job and send your kids to private school.

• 7. LlamaKing  |  April 26th, 2006 at 11:30 am

Only flaw in your assumption, Nihility, is that being committed and educated doesn’t always provide enough income to afford the essentials, let alone private school.

• 8. Nihility  |  April 26th, 2006 at 1:49 pm

So, you can’t even afford the essentials and yet you don’t even get the low paying job in order to home school your kid? Who then, in return, will be educated but won’t be able to find a job? So what’s the point?

Look around you. Most people are lazy as hell. They find a routine and stick to it. If you are energetic, enthusiastic (and yes, committed) you will find a job and move up in the ranks (unless you happen to be some unhappy minority, but that’s a whole different issue)… If you aren’t, you have no business home schooling in the first place!

• 9. Paul G.  |  April 26th, 2006 at 3:00 pm

“Look around you. Most people are lazy as hell.”

There’s a negative outlook if I ever saw one! Most people will work like hell to avoid what they thin of as work. They’ll work even harder than they would if they had been doing the work. Lazy? Nope. Misdirected? Yes. The average person works 80 times harder than they have to.

On a direct note to the original rant. My parents took a direct interest in my education and I too was reading long before entering school. Because eventually not only would I get bored out of my skull waiting on the slowest kid in the class [usually a very nice person], it end up with teachers, professors and instructors that were slower than the slowest student in the class… And then came the idiot “decider” bosses.