Quandary

July 26th, 2007

Smartphones

For a decade I was loyal to Samsung mobile phones. Never had a problem. Switched carriers and picked up a Motorola. Big mistake. You’d think with the one-year warranty I’d be fairly well covered, but no. Replacements are refurbs. It would appear that refurbished means still not working, because three phones later I’m still having trouble.

Much to my amazement, when I recently called about this series of events and to report that my latest phone began to malfunction (note: warranty expired) they weren’t totally heartless. After informing me that the SLVR is no longer available, they decided to sell me the new phone of my choice at the price a brand new subscriber would pay.

Not only does that suck for the obvious reason, but also because there are no phones I’m excited about right now. I’m with AT&T so you’d think the iPhone would be a slam-dunk, but I’ve heard mixed reviews. Especially regarding the on-screen keyboard. So please, oh wise ones, fire away with your recommendations, and thank you in advance.

Entry Filed under: Undercover Geek

• 1. Kangamini  |  July 26th, 2007 at 4:27 pm

If you don’t want to go for an iPhone try to see if they have any SonyEricsson W810i’s. I have one and went to it after my original RAZR died (note: never using motorola again). It has nearly all the features one would want and you can use it as an AM/FM/MP3 player as well with the supplied headphones. Also has a 2.0MP camera and comes with a 128mb memory stick that you can upgrade if you want. Handy little phone 🙂 I’ll probably only replace it when the 2nd or 3rd gen iPhone comes out with all the bugs fixed 🙂

• 2. The Bombshell  |  July 26th, 2007 at 4:32 pm

Good thinking, Rich. I’ll look into that one.

• 3. MissMeliss  |  July 26th, 2007 at 5:01 pm

First, yay, you’re posting again!

Second, as another Cingular – ATT subscriber (hey we can call each other for free) – my recommendation is either the RAZR (if you want a flip phone, because they’re cute and compact. (Actually, I have an unlocked Cingular RAZR in silver you’re welcome to borrow, if you want. I have a pink one, also, but it’s my second line.)

If you really want an almost-iPhone, or, like me, do a lot of texting, well, I can’t say enough about the Samsung Blackjack I bought a couple months ago. I love it. It’s a smartphone, so it runs Windows Mobile, and, unlike the iPhone, has actual keys (QWERTY!) and works on regular GSM, Edge AND 3G.

Oh, and it makes phone calls, too.

My only issue with it is that I keep looking at it and thinking it’s a calculator.

(It does require a data plan, but there’s a $39.99 plan that includes 1500 text messages per month.)

• 4. soapbox.SUPERSTAR  |  July 26th, 2007 at 6:00 pm

I am still voting Treo. Me, Miss Prissy, some-girl and Friglet cannot ALL be wrong!!! You need to buy bigger purses to accomodate!!! Personally I would go with the Palm® Treo 750 – cause it is Windows Mobile based and I LOVE that! Unless you really want the Palm operating system…

To read some stuff about iPhone, read the comments in Betty’s post here. Especially my last comment with the link.

I would def go with one of the phones that offers the 3G BroadbandConnect and EDGE networks!!!! Don’t get one of the older models of anything…get one that meets the technology now and will for at least a year 🙂

Maybe the Samsung A717 if you want a smaller flip phone.

• 5. The Bombshell  |  July 27th, 2007 at 10:17 am

I’m also a “no moving parts” convert. Maybe the Treo 750 is a better option. I hadn’t realized that it’s also on the faster 3G network. Prior to that I was leaning toward Blackjack because of that and my excellent past experiences with Samsung products (they have the highest brand loyalty rating in the electronics industry for a reason).

I think it’s going to be freaky making the conversion from T9 text via a numeric keypad to a full keyboard. I am seriously blazing fast one-handed on my current phone. Hope the full keyboard proves to be all that you gals claim it’s cracked up to be. I’m sure I’ll have some fun hacking whichever phone I end up with.

Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming!

• 6. Kyle I  |  July 27th, 2007 at 10:47 am

I’m going for the Treo 750p (not the wx. I refuse to use Windows unless I have to) when my contract with Verizon comes up. I want the smart phone features but I’m not willing to go with the iPhone just yet. I’ve always liked palms software too.

My Brother and his girlfriend have the Treo 750p’s and they like them a lot. That’s my two cents!

• 7. pinksaltydickmeat  |  July 27th, 2007 at 2:38 pm

No baby…the iPhone is as close to Star Trek as you can get. If you gots the money, I would go for it. Otherwise Crackberry Curve. Fuck the Treo and anything else that runs Washington Worldwide Wonderfulware.

• 8. soapbox.SUPERSTAR  |  July 27th, 2007 at 4:46 pm

Blackberry’s do not have built in cameras. And you love to MoBlog!

And iPhone…

Finally Confirmed: What the iPhone Doesn’t Have
    • Songs as Ringtones
    • Games
    • Any flash support
    • Instant Messaging
    • Picture messages (MMS)
    • Video recording
    • Voice recognition or voice dialing
    • Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Streaming (A2DP)
    • One-size-fits-all headset jack (May have to buy an adapter for certain headphones)

Stuff we already knew it didn’t have
    • 3G (EV-DO/HSDPA)
    • GPS
    • A real keyboard
    • Removable battery
    • Expandable Storage
    • Direct iTunes Music Store Access (Over Wi-Fi or EDGE)

• 9. Betty  |  July 27th, 2007 at 9:45 pm

The Blackberry Curve has a built in 2.0 megapixel camera.

• 10. The Bombshell  |  July 27th, 2007 at 10:26 pm

No picture messages on the iPhone?! 😯 That’s pretty lame. I suppose they’re pushing users to send images through email messages instead. Not a horrible idea for the sake of saving memory on the mobile phone, but still sort-of strange when you consider how much Cingular / AT&T has pushed MMS over the years.

• 11. Deb  |  July 28th, 2007 at 11:12 pm

I am in the same boat! I have a Razr, and want to upgrade to a PDA phone. I spent hours at the AT&T store last month deliberating on what to get. I ended up just adding a data plan to my Razr but now I think I still want more. The qwerty keyboard and full web access is appealing, though I’ve gotten really fast w/ the numeric keypad typing! I am leaning towards the Blackjack – don’t want to learn Blackberry’s OS, and the Treo is too big to stick in my jeans pocket. So, we’ll see. I’ll see what other responses you get before I make a switch. 🙂

• 12. Ben  |  July 30th, 2007 at 6:15 pm

Blackberrys rule, and the BB Curve does have a decent camera. The OS is solid and quick. I actually had a Pearl which is nice if you want a smaller phone but still PDA-functionality.

• 13. Andy Glover  |  July 31st, 2007 at 5:07 pm

Having had my hands on all of them recently, I would probably go with the Blackberry Curve or Pearl for now. I love the iPhone interface and think it is where phones will all be in a few years, but it is missing too much stuff, as listed above.

If they added MMS and a camera, had a bit more storage, or could be expanded, a GPS, and allowed REAL third party apps, I could live with the other short comings.

Maybe Rev. 2 or 3 on a REAL network

• 14. Shelly  |  August 2nd, 2007 at 12:14 pm

I have Verizon and I have a Pink Razr. I love gadgets but when it comes to my mobile phone I like it to be pretty simple. I have had the same phone for a year with no problems. Before this one I was all about Nokia.

• 15. The Bombshell  |  August 2nd, 2007 at 10:36 pm

Talk about a bummer: After all of this research, I managed to fix my stupid phone. Let’s see how long it holds.

• 16. Sandra  |  August 11th, 2007 at 5:07 pm

If you don’t want the iPhone (which I absoultely love. At first i thought I’d have a hard time with the keyboard, but even if I press the wrong key and I keep going it knows exactly what I meant to type. It’s the best phone I’ve EVER had, and I’ve had my share.) It replaced the blackjack which DOES look like a calculator, but I loved still. It handled business and was expandable, but after having this iPhone, I don’t think I’d ever go back.

• 17. The Bombshell  |  August 13th, 2007 at 8:02 am

Good news for you iPhone lovers: I’m now a member of the club. When my old phone resumed acting up I negotiated a service credit to split the cost. So far I’m enjoying my iPhone despite the missing features. This little thing might push off my need for a laptop and allow me to tolerate my desktop dinosaur for a bit longer.

• 18. Friglet  |  August 14th, 2007 at 11:25 pm

You got one?! Do you love it? They are so damn
    pretty! I was thinking of getting a Cingular 8525,
    but I do love my Treo, like Misty said.

• 19. Courtney  |  September 4th, 2007 at 4:12 pm

I had a Palm Treo 650 for about a year last year and it worked out good for me… but then I got the new Verizon blackberry about 3 months ago when they first released it and it’s been the greatest phone I’ve ever had! 😀