Rest in Pieces

November 25th, 2007

Rest in Pieces“I hate those fags on bikes. Every time I see one on the road I want to run them over with my truck” he said. “Oh yeah? Your wife will be on one of those bikes soon. You gonna run me over, too?” I asked. “Yep! Look, a cyclist. Thump! That used to be my wife, but now it’s a speed bump.” he replied, half joking, half his usual brand of control via intimidation.

So, it was no big surprise when, after months of panic attacks on the bike every time I rode within proximity of a silver Toyota Tacoma, one finally ran me down on what would have been our tenth wedding anniversary. No, it wasn’t my ex that took me out, but a total stranger… But still, pretty eerie, is it not?

I was riding with about thirty cyclists that morning and I was fifth from the lead. The truck overtook most of us, then cut a quick right turn into a driveway ahead of me, offering me no option but impact. I was able to slow down from about 18-20 mph to about 6-10 mph prior to the collision, but hitting a wall of steel at any speed is gonna hurt.

And hurt it does. This is my first day back at the keyboard in over a week, and I’m making it a short visit just to update. Although I was extremely fortunate that I didn’t go under his back wheel, I did suffer a great amount of damage from the three impacts: my bike hitting the truck, my body hitting the truck, and my body hitting the ground.

My left side bore the strongest impact, with my hip at the focus, but the doctors were impressed that my bones fared so well. Keep taking your calcium, girls… It works! Despite pain in places I never even knew I had, and having more contusions, pulled muscles, and pissed-off vertebrae than you can imagine, I am very lucky things weren’t a lot worse.

The driver was cited for a multitude of offenses: not carrying his drivers license, no proof of insurance, and last but not least, that unsafe turn. The police report places all blame for the collision on the truck driver. He swears that he has proper insurance, and he’ll have to show proof or lose his license, but if he’s lying, I’m going to weep endlessly.

Let’s not even begin to calculate the doctor’s bills and ongoing physical therapy costs I’m in for, but cycling is a huge part of my life. The sense of freedom and joy that I’ve experienced over the last year and a half has been invaluable. Not only have I made so many treasured friends through this sport, but as a cancer survivor, riding the bike as an outlet for stress and to achieve greater fitness is vital to me.

So, even though one legal battle (the divorce) is finally behind me, and the best part of that was no longer having to deal with (or pay for) attorneys, it seems that now I must sign on for a new fight, and brace myself for all the fun that comes with it. I’m pretty sure any insurance company will choke when they’re told the replacement cost for this bike runs in the thousands of dollars, thanks to fancy carbon components, brand new racing wheels, and a custom frame.

Keep your fingers crossed that I’ll find the right team of doctors, physical therapists, and legal help to set me quickly back to right.

Entry Filed under: Atomic Bombshell,Outer Spaces,Time Travel

• 1. Kyle I  |  November 25th, 2007 at 1:17 pm

Wow, that sucks. I hope your bike gets replaced. I’m not sure what I’d do if my bike got stolen. I too, am an owner of a silver Toyota Tacoma and I swear, we’re not all like that! 😛

• 2. Nanette  |  November 25th, 2007 at 1:30 pm

OMG! I’m glad you weren’t hurt more, but I’m also sad that you have to deal with all of this crap. YIKES!

Nanette’s last blog post – Where there’s smoke…

• 3. Gecko Rock  |  November 25th, 2007 at 1:50 pm

Oh, nose! When I recently discovered your blog, I was so looking forward to reading more. I hope you heal quickly (in all possible ways)!

Gecko Rock’s last blog post – Weekend Update

• 4. soapbox.SUPERSTAR  |  November 25th, 2007 at 2:23 pm

I am so glad you are okay! I cannot believe that this happened to you! I hope that he has proper insurance, and that you are taken care of without going through any legal battles!!!

As far as recovery, I am praying for a speedy one for you!!!

• 5. Joefish  |  November 25th, 2007 at 3:37 pm

Oh, snap! Have you considered that you may be cursed?

• 6. Dave2  |  November 25th, 2007 at 4:43 pm

I always wish you the best… but I don’t envy anybody who has to get involved in a legal entanglement like what you’re in for. I sure hope he DOES have insurance.

What I don’t understand is how people without insurance can get away breaking the law. When I was ran into by a guy with no insurance, he didn’t have to pay a thing… my insurance had to take care of it and MY rates went up. He didn’t even lose his license, because the judge felt it was “cruel” to deprive him of transportation needed to go to work. As far as I know, the consequences were ZERO for him, and expensive for me for an accident HE caused. Like I said, I hope your guy has insurance like he claims…

• 7. Smizzo  |  November 25th, 2007 at 8:00 pm

I had to read this entry twice for it to sink in. I had a feeling something had happened to you. 🙁

Thank God, it wasn’t worse. This is it, now, you know. Nothing but GOOD things can happen to you. You’ve paid your dues.

Smizzo’s last blog post – I Survived Thanksgiving 2007

• 8. Jordan aka The Ninja  |  November 26th, 2007 at 10:40 am

Get well, my sweet!

• 9. Hilly  |  November 26th, 2007 at 11:37 am

Oh my gosh… I am so sorry that you got hurt, but am so glad you weren’t hurt worse! Take care of you.

• 10. Domestic Chicky  |  November 26th, 2007 at 12:22 pm

OMG – How insane is that? I hope you are felling better, and get back up on that bike again…

…or maybe not. 😉

Deanna’s last blog post – Good Morning!

• 11. Catherine  |  November 26th, 2007 at 2:30 pm

Hey you, get better quick. I’m so glad you’re all in one piece 🙂

Catherine’s last blog post – Happy Orphan

• 12. Deleted Soul  |  November 27th, 2007 at 9:53 am

Oh geez, I am glad you are ok, even with the loss of your bike. If you need anything, drop me a line and I would be glad to help!

• 13. MissPrissy  |  November 27th, 2007 at 10:20 am

I’m so glad it wasn’t more serious. Take care of yourself, and give yourself time to heal completely.

MissPrissy’s last blog post – Third one today

• 14. Lisa  |  November 27th, 2007 at 12:41 pm

I’m glad that you are “okay.” Too often drivers are so negligent about respecting bicyclists. Hope you heal quickly.

Lisa’s last blog post – breaking up is hard to do

• 15. TJ  |  November 27th, 2007 at 6:55 pm

** Here’s to finding a damn good lawyer! … and holy crap! If it ain’t one thing it’s another. I’m so sorry but am glad you’re ok. For all the turmoil and healing you’re going through, I’m cheering you’ll live to a hundred with nothing but bliss.

Get better…. and better 🙂

• 16. Jason Rohrblogger  |  November 27th, 2007 at 8:06 pm

Hope you are feeling better soon. You’ll be up and back on two wheels in no time.

Legal stuff sucks! And takes forever. Hang in there…

Jason Rohrblogger’s last blog post – ROHRBLOGGER OUT!

• 17. Will Campbell  |  November 28th, 2007 at 5:34 pm

I do most of my riding solo on work commutes around 13 miles across L.A. between work and home. It’s one thing to deal with idiot drivers when riding alone but it seems as if it takes a special kind of imbecile to cut through a large group of cyclists.

In the immediate frustrating aftermath it’s probably but a small consolation that you escaped more serious injury, so instead here’s hoping both your healing and legal processes are quick and completely resolved and you’re back out riding far away from any silver Toyota Tacomas as soon as possible.

Will Campbell’s last blog post – Technorati Blog Claim In Progress

• 18. Nihility  |  November 29th, 2007 at 4:41 pm

It takes a special kind of ignorant selfish carelessness to cut off a bike like that. He of course deserves to rot in hell and never have a license ever again, so I won’t mention it…
    Get well soon!

P.S
    You wanna post this assholes name here so my foot can have an intimate relationship with his face?

• 19. Peggy  |  November 30th, 2007 at 6:27 am

This post made me angry for you. That was so rude of him and like Misty said, I hope his insurance covers it.

What the hell is wrong with some people? My husband drives a motorcycle and he says that you would be amazed at how many people put him in danger. Sad. Sad world sometimes.

I hope you get better really soon.

• 20. The Bombshell  |  November 30th, 2007 at 2:58 pm

Good news: The guy is insured after all. Found a good attorney. Really need a good chiropractor. Despite back pain caused by being tethered to my desk, I managed to get back to work this week.

To each of you who offered your support and confirmation that this driver was a total bag of douche: Thank you so much! I’ll keep you posted as this saga continues. Beware of holiday drivers!

• 21. Friglet  |  November 30th, 2007 at 11:05 pm

OMG, you poor thing! Are you doing okay now? Was anything broken? How scary. 🙁

Friglet’s last blog post – Thanksgiving in pictures

• 22. Tasha  |  December 5th, 2007 at 8:57 am

OMG… I’m glad it’s not worse. I hope you’re feeling better.
    Did the guy say WTH he was thinking? That’s so scary!

Tasha’s last blog post – Protected: say what?

• 23. Tasha  |  December 5th, 2007 at 11:31 am

I’m ‘toopid .. I didn’t realize there was a “continue reading” button

Tasha’s last blog post – Protected: say what?