Time Trial

April 17th, 2008

Mario Cipollini Rock Racing Time Trial Amgen Tour of California 2008After two years of riding my bike I figured it was high time I entered a competitive cycling event. Since I’m still not super confident riding closely in a peloton, it was decided that my ideal premiere would be an individual time trial. On my own going as fast as I can for a specific duration. Competing with others to achieve the best time without risking getting tangled up in the fray.

The results: I finished 4th… Out of 4.

That last-place finish doesn’t do much for my ego, but I learned a lot from the experience. Mainly that when you’re nervous it makes you have to pee. A lot! And wearing bib shorts, having no restrooms in the vicinity, showing up too late to warm up, and riding an unfamiliar course, are all things that don’t help.

Not only that, but it should also be mentioned that in many womens cycling events they group all categories together since there are so few women involved in the sport. So where men might race with no more than 2 categories, my pathetic little category 4 slow newbie ass is up against professional and semi-professional female cyclists from all over. Kind-of makes that 4th place finish not sound so bad after all.

Since I have that first event under my belt, I’ll be trying a few more throughout the season. Maybe even a road race and/or a criterium toward the end of this month, and I’ll keep you posted on my results as they come. Originally my goal was not to be dead last, but I think I’ll set my sights a bit lower from now on… Finishing at all is good!

Watch me jinx even that. πŸ˜‰       PS: Happy Birthday Jordan!!! XOXOX

Entry Filed under: Atomic Bombshell,My Other Half

• 1. Shelly  |  April 25th, 2008 at 1:27 pm

Happy Birthday Jordan…4th isn’t so bad even though there were only 4.

• 2. Jordan aka the Ninja  |  April 25th, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Thanks for the birthday wishes! BTW, I raced in the time trial and came in 6th… out of 7! I like to think there was some tough competition…and there was!

• 3. Sauerkraut  |  April 26th, 2008 at 6:45 pm

I tried cyclocross once. Came in near the back. And that was back when I thought I was something.

That was it for “racing.” I do a fair amount of bike training – sometimes up to 300 mpw – but I kept the competitiveness focused on two feet on the ground in a nice pair of Nikes.

Hope you don’t mind if I sneak over now and then to see if you’ve tried again.

meow.

• 4. MissPrissy  |  April 28th, 2008 at 7:25 am

You’re #1 no matter what! πŸ™‚

• 5. Smizzo  |  April 29th, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Happy belated b-day to the J-man!

AB, you are a winner always! An adorable one at that. Love that you’re out there treading the paths.

P.S. LOVED the Mexico pics. Sorry you got sick, though. πŸ™

• 6. Friglet  |  April 29th, 2008 at 10:29 pm

You should be so proud of yourself for getting in there and going for it! That’s more than most of us do! πŸ™‚

And Happy Birthday to Jordan! I hope you guys have fun celebrating. πŸ˜‰

• 7. MrLemurBoy  |  May 1st, 2008 at 7:55 am

You think 4 out of 4 is bad? I entered a piano composition competition once. I was the only entry… and I placed second O.o

Keep on pedaling! You’re awesome, and really, it’s inspiring.

• 8. Jenny  |  May 1st, 2008 at 10:09 am