Nightmare

August 5th, 2008

I’ve heard travel has become quite a nightmare lately, but now we have firsthand experience to substantiate that theory. You see, the Ninja had to fly from Southern California to Rhode Island where he was expected to appear as a groomsman in a childhood friend’s wedding. As charming as that sounds, I wish we had turned them down.

Even though we are desperately low on funds since their wedding so closely followed our own, and even though we were required to pay for tuxedo rental, airfare, accommodations, and more… It still wouldn’t have been so bad. What made it terrible was this series of events:

1. Thursday 10pm Red-Eye LAX to RI w/connection in NC
  21. Monday 12am Return from finding a meal
  22. Monday 6am Shuttle back to the airport
  23. Monday 10am FINALLY arrive at LAX
  24. Monday 11am Directly to the office
  25. Monday 2pm Meeting with client
  26. Monday 9pm Home and sleep

If you’re counting, that means from when he woke up at 7am on Thursday morning to when he finally went to bed on Monday night, poor Jordan was awake over 100 hours while only sleeping a total of 14 hours in four nights. Furthermore, 40 hours were spent waiting for and/or being transported. In particular, the trip home took over a day.

So umm… We’ll be sticking around town for a while.

Entry Filed under: Carrie's Rants,My Other Half,Outer Spaces

• 1. Shelly  |  August 6th, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Yikes! That sucks. I am so glad he made it home in one piece.

• 2. Tasha  |  August 6th, 2008 at 1:00 pm

ewww .. *shudders* I don’t envy him at all! Did he sleep all day when he got home at least??

• 3. smizzo  |  August 6th, 2008 at 2:08 pm

I cannot believe what he had to go through. It SUCKED! Glad he’s back with you where he belongs and super glad your blog is back!

• 4. The Bombshell  |  August 6th, 2008 at 2:33 pm

@Tasha – He had to work when he got back and didn’t leave the office until after 8pm. He is a trooper!

• 5. Salena  |  August 6th, 2008 at 7:50 pm

oh my goodness! What a rough trip. And I thought I had it bad coming back from Vegas… this is much worse.

• 6. Toryssa  |  August 6th, 2008 at 8:54 pm

What a nightmare!

Being away is always good fun, but the getting there and home is SUCH A DRAG!

• 7. The Ninja  |  August 6th, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Just wanted to add a blurb or two, if I may…

– The red eye from LAX flew to Charlotte and arrived at 6am and there was a layover until the flight to Providence that left at 9am and arrived at 11am…no sleep. The driver that picked me up got lost and we traveled through Connecticut (bonus, since I’d never been there before) and then straight to the festivities…no check in until 3pm! Then the festivities…just a bad idea all around. The bride and groom had a clam bake. Let’s think about this for a sec…hot and humid, clams, seafood, drinking…the night before your wedding…are you insane? (the answer is yes)

– The “Inn” was named America’s Best Inn. Unfortunately, it was not something you should be able to find IN America nor was it the best. Believe me, even Jesus wouldn’t have wanted to stay at this Inn.

– The airports in R.I. and Boston are filled with so many prepsters, they have a Brooks Brothers and Johnston and Murphy store for the seersucker you left behind.

– I have to admit that Dunkin’ Donuts has it goin’ on. They had a constant line of about 50 people long throughout the day ( i can attest to this as I was in the airport for the better part of 13 hours or so.)

– I am so thankful to be back at home, but I missed being with my best friend, wife and meowkins for what seemed like an eternity. The next time we go decide to go anywhere, I’ll fake an injury or illness.

• 8. Rich  |  August 7th, 2008 at 6:55 am

This kind of story is why I don’t think I’ll be flying again for a long time, unless it is SUPER urgent or Europe. I’d much rather road trip it now. ๐Ÿ™‚

• 9. soapbox.SUPERSTAR  |  August 7th, 2008 at 7:00 am

But Jordan… were you lookin FIERCE during those long hours in the airport? I am quite sure you were. I would have been in sweats and flip flops.

You flew right over top of me and did not even stop in to say hello! How Rude! ๐Ÿ™‚ With most guys that are over top of me, I at least get a boob grab! – HAHAHA!!!

• 10. MissPrissy  |  August 7th, 2008 at 7:39 am

Wow! @Misty’s comment!!
    LOL!
    What a nightmare, I don’t know if I would have been able to take it, I would have thrown a big fit and ended up in Air Marshall jail.

• 11. Holly  |  August 10th, 2008 at 7:17 am

That’s horrible, that poor guy! I can barely justify driving out of my town and into town to a grocery store and look for every possible reason not to, but this is just ridiculous now.

• 12. Girly Mom  |  August 11th, 2008 at 4:48 am

That’s horrible! I’m amazed he made it without hurting someone. He sounds like such a trooper! Hopefully things are getting back to normal. ๐Ÿ™‚

• 13. Friglet  |  August 12th, 2008 at 10:11 pm

OMG! That is terrible! Just reading that makes me never want to buy an airplane ticket again!

• 14. Kevin  |  August 14th, 2008 at 6:01 pm

Sound like my old business trips between LaGuardia (airport hell) and Dallas (just hell, plain and simple).

• 15. Nihility  |  August 21st, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Please tell me there was a music/video player involved with the 40 hours waiting time.

• 16. Blake  |  August 27th, 2008 at 12:56 pm

1. Airplane Travel has sucked since 9/11. Its not just security. The airlines have used it as an excuse to make the experience a nickle and diming event. THere is no accountability and 70% ontime rates have become acceptable.

2. Never take American Airlines or United anywhere if possible. Ever. Period. THe 5.00 crap box for food on top of the overpriced ticket is an insult. I have had 3 trips in the last year where they ran OUT OF FOOD on 2 of them.

3. I have never had a bad experience with Jet Blue. Frankly if I can take them everywhere, I can.

4. Sorry. Dunkin Donuts blows starbucks away. If it isnt yet, the Dunkin Donuts “Starbucks Defense system” should be taught in boarding school.

5. Darling – The correct term (teeth clamped together while saying this) is preppie. Never prepster. Preppie is the noun form of Preppy (the description). For further clarification, the Preppy handbook can help. Wikipedia even uses the term “prepdom” which is actually a malformation of the real word “Preppydom”.

Someone forgot to consult martha on the clambake. They must be after 5 pm when its august.

My question is this – did you have an opportunity to appreciate Newport or Providence?

• 17. Mamirosa & Co.  |  August 28th, 2008 at 1:29 pm

Ohhhh man…. I hate flying. It’s gotten so bad over the past years too…

• 18. Atomic Bombshell » &hellip  |  September 4th, 2008 at 4:53 pm

[…] I posted about The Ninja’s travel trouble, it later showed up on my Facebook automatically imported as a […]