Movin’ On Up

December 3rd, 2008

New HomeGot the keys to our new place last night. That’s just the most recent of the many news items occurring since my last post dated eleven weeks ago. You’re hearing from me again because I finally managed to move this site to a new host. (Media Temple, if you’re curious.) Turned out not to be as easy as one would hope, but here I am, up and running again. It’s so much nicer working out of a database that doesn’t constantly time out.

Back to my first point: the Ninja and I will finally be moving into our own little love nest. There will be plenty of work to do. After the packing and unpacking there will be painting, decorating, and eventually upgrades to the kitchen and bathroom. Fortunately, I will have plenty of extra time to take care of these things once my job ends in two weeks. Every time the economy takes a dive, marketing takes the first hit.

Which leads me to news item two: I’ll be returning to college in January, studying for a degree in Management Information Systems. Although I’ve really enjoyed the last 15 years I spent making other companies and individuals wealthy, I’ve grown weary of this roller coaster. My last layoff was after 9/11 and I’m seeing a trend. Time to make a transition.

Now that I think about it, I guess my New Year’s resolutions are all set: A new home, learning new skills, and working toward a new career. That’s plenty to bite off and chew on for a year or more! How about you? What things, great and small, do you plan to tackle in 2009?

Entry Filed under: Atomic Bombshell,My Other Half,Undercover Geek

• 1. Keri  |  December 4th, 2008 at 6:53 am

YAY! You’re back! Congratulations on your new home. It’s so exciting creating a place that reflects both you and your other half’s tastes. Painting can be fun, but only in very small doses. I hope to see before & after pictures. 🙂

Sorry to hear about the lay off. But as the cliché goes, when one door closes, another opens. School should be fun though. Learning new things is the best! I’d love to go back. Good luck!

Let’s see… in 2009, I plan on making the move to Atlanta (by July 1). It’s a lofty endeavor for me (dog, job, health insurance, logistics), but I am praying for a smooth transition. I’m also making it my mission to get the band I manage signed (your comment about about making other individuals wealthy is coming to mind now—hahaha!).

• 2. dena  |  December 4th, 2008 at 10:21 am

So glad you’re posting again! Congrats on the new house. I know you’ll have a fabulous time fixing it up and making it YOUR home. Great way to start off the New Year!

• 3. Dena  |  December 4th, 2008 at 10:21 am

And what do I plan to tackle for ’09? Nothing. 😉

• 4. Jason Rohrblogger  |  December 4th, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Welcome back! Missed you terribly! I’m sure you’ll have all kinds of new homeowner stories. I know I did…

• 5. Mamirosa & Co.  |  December 6th, 2008 at 8:31 am

Congrats on your new lil’ nest of love! May your coming year be full of blessings and even MORE happiness!

• 6. girlymom  |  December 7th, 2008 at 8:58 pm

You’re going to be so busy this coming year, but it sounds like it’s exactly the direction you should be going.

Best of luck!

• 7. Shelly  |  December 9th, 2008 at 1:19 pm

I have missed you. Congratulations to you and the Ninja on your new home. Very exciting.

What do I plan on tackling in 2009? Finishing my house and getting to a healthy weight once and for all.

• 8. Ayprel  |  December 14th, 2008 at 12:37 am

Just as my 10 year adventure at college has ended (for now), I am beginning my professional career as a social worker. My resolution this past year was to become a licensed social worker. I passed the exam 12/13.

• 9. smizzo  |  December 16th, 2008 at 10:03 pm

So sorry for the late response – I had a feeling!

Congratulations to the both of you! I am so excited for you both!

AB, we should meet for lunch soon. Do you have my cell?

• 10. PhoenixFidelis66  |  December 18th, 2008 at 7:51 am

I actually stumbled across your site looking for holiday images. One thing led to another …and eventually… I started perusing your archives. I encountered a very unique experience for me in the fact that, very quickly, I was engaged and curious. I don’t know you from “Atom” but, I feel that, somehow, I do. Don’t worry, I’m not some cosmic psycho… just an average “Joe” who’s happily married and enjoys others thoughts. Oddly enough… I feel that I would like to be a part of this “this”. Anyway… before I start sounding too creepy… I just wanted to say that you have a great site; and wish you and the Ninja great happiness in your new nest.

• 11. Lewis Moten  |  February 10th, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Sorry. Been like two years since I last commented here.

Congratulations on going back to school. It’s tough.

I’ve been going back to do the college thing myself. Got an associates last month. Not happy about going through a couple years to get the bachelors. I feel like I’m starting from scratch again. I just wish more credits transferred to the program from the college I went to when I was fresh out of high school.

• 12. smizzo  |  March 5th, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Are you gonna start blogging again, too? Maybe like I do, if you know what I mean…

I am so happy for you two in every way.