Give Me Fever

October 6th, 2010

What a day we had yesterday! Woke up early to take the wagon in for service. Got to the dealership, dropped off the keys, then started to share a bite of breakfast with my little man while we waited. Wasn’t expecting everything he downed to come right back up while we’re hanging out in the showroom.

Did my best to clean up but we needed fresh clothes. The service manager took pity on us and fixed us up with a rental car so we could get home to deal with the situation properly. Except Enterprise had a shortage of rental cars in the region, so I got to accept the only vehicle they had available.

You should have seen me behind the wheel of this Dodge Ram 1500 truck. Picture me at five and a half months pregnant trying to open the back gate and climb up in to the truck bed to get the stroller in and out. I almost needed to use a rope and grapple just to get in the stinking driver’s seat. Pure comedy, I tell you.

My little ninja isn’t doing so hot. This is his first nasty virus. His fever kept rocketing up to 104 degrees despite our best efforts, so we ended up taking him to the emergency room last night where we learned about alternating between Tylenol and Advil to keep the fever under control. So far so good.

Read on for Day 5 of 30 Days of Truth
Something I Hope To Accomplish

Since returning to college I’ve often daydreamed about what I’ll want to do with myself once the kids don’t need their mama as much. While I realize that’s a few years off at best, it’s still kind of fun to daydream about what I’d like to do. After spending over 15 years doing marketing, I’m hoping to take things in a nerdier, more analytical direction… Decision Science!

That’s really just a fancy phrase for business math and statistics, and that’s what I’m majoring in. Don’t get the wrong idea about me though, I assure you I’m nowhere near smart enough for these subjects. I struggle. But I like what I’m learning even though it’s quite difficult. I’m nearly blown away by the power of math when properly and practically applied.

Career wise, when I’m finished with school, we’ll see how things go at home. I’ll either continue on for another degree or see if I can find some freelance gigs to do from home. Then, if I can find a job that will pay enough for me to buy the kids a decent education, I’ll do that. Honestly though, the work and achievement stuff is pretty selfish, and not at the top of my list.

The things I most care to accomplish are more important. Like creating a marriage that remains satisfying throughout our lives together, and raising our kids to be amazing human beings of exemplary character. Those are definitely my top priorities. The rest can take a back seat.

Entry Filed under: Atomic Bombshell,Undercover Geek

• 1. shelly  |  October 6th, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I agree. Marriage and kids come first to me as well. While I would love to have a much better paying job, those often come at a high price. I am not willing to give my time to a career and be kept away from my family.

• 2. smizzo  |  October 6th, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Aww, noway would I have put you behind the wheel of a truck. You’re just not built for it. 😉

I hope the mini ninja kicks that fever to the curb and feels better soon. So scary.

I also help you get your wagon wheels back soon. 🙂

• 3. Peggy  |  October 6th, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I drive a Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 so I know exactly what you’re talking about. I’d never want to drive it if I had babies though.

Hope little dude is better soon!

The Bombshell

@Peggy: You are more woman than I will ever be. There is no way I could hoist my fat ass in and out of that truck all day every day. Go on with your bad self.

• 4. soapbox.SUPERSTAR  |  October 7th, 2010 at 5:58 am

There is a brand of Acetaminophen at the drug store called “Feverall” – ALWAYS keep some of this on hand. It is in suppository form for when your kids are sick with vomiting. Giving oral meds just makes them vomit them up and you can’t keep them in their system long enough to break the fever. Also in the ER – they will give this for super high fevers, because it gets into the system the fastest to break the fever. Make sure when you buy it that you also pick up a box of latex gloves! 🙂 And after inserting… don’t forget to squeeze his little buns together for a few seconds so it doesn’t pop back out!

Feverall Website

Check out your comment on this post… 🙂

The Bombshell

@soapbox.SUPERSTAR: Misty, you are awesome, as usual. They told me something in the ER about Tylenol suppositories but when I went to CVS couldn’t find them. Now I know what to look for. Can’t imagine why I would have blocked that post of yours from my memory… 😉

• 5. Friglet  |  October 9th, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I’m so sorry the little guy was so sick. 🙁

I cannot imagine you even getting into a truck like that, much less driving it around.

I admire you so much for going back to school, and the subjects you are taking? Yikes! They sound so hard.

• 6. Keri  |  October 11th, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Wow! Sorry the little man felt so horrible. 🙁 Your delivery of what rental vehicle you got cracked me up, however. Too funny.

Kudos to you for kicking ass in school and focusing on being a loving mom & wife. 🙂