Driftwood

October 16th, 2010

For the first time in months I’m caught up on all my feeds in Google Reader. For the two minutes that lasted I felt truly accomplished. Should have spent that time working on my homework but I just wasn’t in the mood to practice writing arrays in C#. (Insert snoring sound here.)

By the way, if you haven’t seen me comment on your blog in a while, chances are I’m not subscribed to the right feed, so let me know.

Read on for Day 9 of 30 Days of Truth
Someone Who Drifted Away

As I sat there trying to think of someone who fits this description I ended up stumped. So I turned to my husband and we chatted about it for a bit and still couldn’t come up with anything. Eventually he suggested something that I had already thought to myself: I’m the drifter.

For so many years I’ve kept a very loose grasp on all my friendships. I think it’s related so some deep down fear of abandonment. Like somehow it’s easier for me to cope, should that happen, if I just don’t get too involved to begin with. Come to think of it, that’s almost certainly the case.

While My Ninja thrives on having a large circle of acquaintances, I’m not one to take friendships lightly. It’s just that I’m not interested in investing myself in anything superficial. I crave deep, loyal, abiding friendships that involve things like mutual growth and accountability.

Hard to find, but I’m still holding out for the real deal.

Entry Filed under: Atomic Bombshell,One Of The Guys

• 1. shelly  |  October 17th, 2010 at 6:02 am

I have many close acquaintances and a few very close friends. I need to have friends that I can talk to. My husband is number one but I enjoy my girlfriends too.

• 2. Keri  |  October 17th, 2010 at 6:31 am

You are an amazing writer; I’m sure you’ve heard this before. Anyway… Once again, as I read this post I am nodding my head, and I am in agreement about not wanting to waste my energy of superficial relationships, but yet sometimes I feel I keep new people at arm’s length so I don’t get hurt when they inevitably snub me in some way.

The Bombshell

@Keri, Wow, thanks!

• 3. Avitable  |  October 18th, 2010 at 12:03 pm

That explains why a few comments from you showed up this weekend. 🙂

Those types of friendships are exactly the ones that I value so much. I’m lucky enough to have a few of those.

The Bombshell

@Avitable: I told @Blogography that I save his feed for last, like dessert. Yours is SECOND to last. Both because it’s also a wonderful treat to read AND because if you ever flash me your testicles again I need to have a palate cleanser lined up to help me recover from the trauma.

• 4. Friglet  |  October 19th, 2010 at 7:48 am

Reading your post really made me think….I think I am also a drifter. It’s funny that I never really thought about that before. I think it’s all part of starting a new life for me right now. A lot of my casual friends were a part of my marriage and I guess I let them go with it.

• 5. Jenny  |  October 19th, 2010 at 9:19 am

Oh you’re back here?! Awesome 🙂 *adds to link list*

• 6. soapbox.SUPERSTAR  |  October 19th, 2010 at 10:30 am

Very thought provoking. I feel like I try real hard to keep my close friends close. I have a small circle of AMAZING friends and am thankful for them. I am like that online too – I have my small circle and I am completely cool with that.